5 Steps to Prevent Data Loss When Disaster Hits
A small business owner works hard to build his company and often times the secret to this growth is thanks in part to proprietary methods developed by their hard work during the course of the business. You don’t want to let these methods to get out to competitors or be at risk of being lost but given the higher dependence on computers and networks in today’s business world these risks are elevated. That is why you need to have a secure information technology division in your small business and a set plan for what to do should a cyber-attack occur. Here is a list of security steps you should take with commentary from us added.
- Plan for the worst
- Reading this article already shows that you are proactive and that is the best defense. Knowing that there are malicious hackers and other danger out there is half the battle. You have to have a contingency plan in case you should ever fall victim to an attack. You need to have a step by step outline of what to do and everyone capable of handling the crisis should be aware of it.
- Always back up and protect
- One of the simplest safeguards to hacker threats is redundant backups. Hackers don’t always want to steal your information; some might just be interested in deleting your valuable data to “teach the need for stronger security protocols”. Having a backup that is not connected to a network and therefore safe from outside access is one of the easiest and most important security measures.
- Data missing? Don’t panic!
- If your backups are in place then you definitely have no reason to panic. If you failed to back up your data still shouldn’t get too excited. There is a possibility that what you are missing is on someone else’s computer or could be stored in another backup if your data was originally from an outside source.
- Leave it to the professionals
- If you are completely overwhelmed by all of this than you should seriously consider hiring an IT professional or an outside consultant because getting your businesses IT security wrong just once can be the end of your business.
- Know your recovery ABCs
- There are a few other basic tips you should be able to use to help you monitor your systems even if you are not an IT expert including using strange noises from your computer as a warning sign. More advice after the jump.
Click on the link below to see Fox News’ explanations and details behind each step.
Source - Fox Business