Retail Trends To Watch
With Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and the rest of the holiday shopping season approaching, we thought it would be a good opportunity to present a snapshot of the current retail environment and how it compares to historical seasonal trends.
- Apparel and department stores in-line with the S&P last week
- Weekly Sales Index: October trending relatively in line with September
- Mall traffic +0.5% month-to-date in October, above September average -0.1%
- Mall traffic was +1.0% for week 2 in October; month-to-date, October is tracking +0.5%, above the September average of -0.1%.
- Shopper’s barometer—temperatures below normal last week
- This past week, temperatures were 4.7 degrees below normal. Temperatures were below normal in all regions.
- Weekly Athletic Footwear Sales – October starts slightly softer
- For the first week of October athletic footwear sales were +2%, slightly below the September average +3%.
- Consumer confidence starts above September levels
- Gas prices +1% in October
Source - Exabyzness, GS, & ICSC